Sunday, January 13, 2013

Top 5 Fantasy NFL Tight Ends of 2012

   Alright for the last post in the my "Top 5 of 2012" series I am changing the format.  I am going to base this article entirely on my opinion.  It seems that people were having a hard time understanding what I was trying to highlight in the previous installments.  My vision for the blog is to provide a window for people to see how my fantasy teams and leagues operate.  A kind of microcosm of fantasy sports.  In the previous installments I was trying to highlight the players who scored the most fantasy points at their position in MY league.  Maybe I didn't do a good job of getting that across, so I'll try and switch it up this installment.  Here is my opinion on the top 5 fantasy tight ends of 2012:


Rob Gronkowski
1.  Rob Gronkowski-  Despite missing 5 games with a broken forearm, Gronkowski was still able to put up comparable numbers to the best tight ends in the league.  He led all tight ends in touchdowns with 11.  He was by far, having the best season of any tight end in the league before his injury.  Gronk has pretty much redefined the position in the modern game.  In my fantasy league, which gives 1 point per reception and 1 point for every 10 yards receiving, Gronkowski averaged 18 points a game.  That's over 2 points higher than any other tight end.

Jimmy Graham
2.  Jimmy Graham-  Graham was a bit of a disappointment this year, but even a disappointing season from Graham is better then that of most.  Jimmy missed a couple of games after spraining his ankle and played most of the season through a wrist injury.  Whether because of injury or the fact that Sean Peyton was not calling the offense this year, Graham seemed to be less of a factor for New Orleans.  He went 5 straight weeks without a touchdown in weeks 12-16.  Graham still lead all tight ends in fantasy scoring in my league and he also averaged the second highest points per game with 15.81.  I expect Graham to bounce back next year when he will be healthy and have his coach back.

Tony Gonzalez
3. Tony Gonzalez-  Gonzalez decided that 2012 will be his final year in the league.  I guess he wants to go out while he is still on top because Tony can still play with the best of them.  This year he hauled in 93 receptions for 930 yards and 8 touchdowns.  Gonzalez is a key part of the Atlanta offense and may be the greatest tight end to ever play the game.  He averaged 14.63 fantasy points per game in my 1 point per reception league and finished with 234.00 points on the season.

Jason Witten
4.  Jason Witten-  When it was reported that Witten suffered a lacerated spleen in a preseason game, many assumed he would miss some time.  Witten however, showed his toughness and played through the injury.  He was obviously not 100%, but he was out there representing for his teammates.  He led the league this year in receptions and yardage at tight end.  Witten had 110 receptions for 1039 yards and three touchdowns.  He is Tony Romo's security blanket and is still one of the game's premier tight ends after 10 years in the league.

Heath Miller
5. Heath Miller-  Another veteran who continues to produce at a high level.  Miller finished the year with careers highs in touchdowns and yardage.  He had 71 receptions for 816 yards and 8 touchdowns on the season.  Unfortunately, Miller suffered a serious injury in week 16 of the season.  He tore his ACL and MCL and required reconstructive surgery on the knee.  The injury was so bad he may even miss part of the 2013 season in recovery.  He averaged 13.51 fantasy points per game in my 1 point per reception league and finished the year with 202.60 points.

1 comment:

  1. I put my bet on Jimmy. My guess was correct at that time. 2012 was a exciting fantasy football year.

    ReplyDelete