Thursday, November 29, 2012

Welcome!

   Welcome to my fantasy sports blog! As of right now, this blog will be an outlet for my interest in fantasy baseball and football. I enjoy all the major sports, so that may expand in the future. Right now I'm only involved in yahoo baseball and football leagues so that is what the blog will cover.
    I am relatively new to the world of fantasy sports. Last year I was invited to join a fantasy baseball league by coworkers. I have been a big New York Yankees fan since I was a little kid. Baseball has always been my favorite sport, so I thought that this might be a fun experience. My first draft went pretty well, but I learned something about what kind of sports fan I was. I was a New York Yankees fan. I knew a lot about the players on the New York Yankees. I knew a bit about the players on the teams the Yankees play, but I knew pretty much nothing about the entire National League of MLB,  Fantasy baseball changed that about sports for me. It unlocked a much deeper interest in sports for me. The baseball league I belong to is small, but extremely competitive. To be successful, I had to learn about players and teams I had no interest in before. It made me a more complete fan, a fan of MLB, not just a fan of a certain team. I ended up doing very well in my first experience at fantasy sports. I got to the finals in my league, unfortunately my commissioner forgot to lock the rosters and my opponent made some shady roster moves. He was disqualified, but not until after the final was over so I did not receive official credit for the win. We split the payout, because we are a league among friends and his actions were not malicious, nor did I feel he intentionally meant to break the rules.
   Despite a rocky ending to my first season, I was hooked! When football season came along I jumped at the chance to join my work's league. I was the second seed in the playoffs, but all my running backs got injured and I was defeated in the second round.  It only fueled my passion and I became a more complete NFL fan as well.
   This year in baseball I had a bad draft. I also play in a keeper league and most of my 5 keepers had bad years. Who would have thought Justin Upton, Tim Lincecum, and Hunter Pence would have such crappy years?  My other two keepers, Joey Votto and Dustin Pedroia spent considerable stretches on the disabled list.  I hung in there though. I researched free agents and made trades to sure up my roster. I am most proud of picking up Kris Medlen early in his record breaking run with the Atlanta Braves. I made it into the playoffs on the last day of the regular season and my team got hot! I beat the two teams with the best records in my league and pulled off the upset win for the league championship!
Evan Longoria hit 3 home runs on the final day of the season, giving me the win in my league championship finals.
AJ Green is my #1 wideout this season.
  I have the number one seed in my football playoffs this year. My team is 10-2 and I have been able to maintain dominance despite having several key injuries. I will share my recent roster moves and my strategies/starters for week 13 and the playoffs in coming articles. Thanks for reading and please feel free to share suggestions on the direction the blog should take as this is my first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment